Monday, July 14, 2014

Hi ho, hi ho!

I went in search of a dress pattern and some nice damask fabric for the skirt of said dress, but had not so good results. It happens a handsy toddler boy in a stroller kept pulling fabric off the shelves and made my visit difficult. I couldn't concentrate because my son wanted to touch every fabric. But I did manage to come across an unexpected deal and that turned my trip to the fabric store into a quest for Snow White. 

$3 per yard yellow taffeta, $4.79 a yard dark blue charmeuse, and a light blue taffeta for $9.99 a yard (ouch!) make a lovely match for a dress!


I had some gold rickrack from some scraps my husband had bought a yard sale. It really came in handy today. 



Iron on interfacing makes the collar stiffer. 


I didn't have red, and as I mentioned, my son was grabbing everything so I had little time to think. But pink looks just as nice. 




This is as far as I've gotten today. The dress will be too big for my daughter because she is quite small. Even this pattern sized at 2-3 is too big. But I'll make adjustments and go with the flow. 

Otherwise, all that is left is the sleeves need to be sewn on and gathered. Can I say how annoying gathering is?

So all told, zipper and fabric, (interfacing and lace I had at home, but could run an extra $5) cost me $10.73 plus tax. That's with $3 yellow taffeta! I think I'd like to get the proper amount of fabric for the sleeves if I ever make another of these. I bought 1/4 yard but probably needed 1/3. 

Here is a picture of the pattern I was following.


Don't have time to go to the store and search through patterns? Check the McCalls, Simplicity, or Butterick websites. They usually charge about $4 shipping and most patterns are only $4. Also another brand which seems pretty neat is New Look. A lot of these brands are owned by the same company, but they still offer diversity. Haven't used patterns before? I'm proof they can be used to make anything. Just take your time and breathe! I also allow an entire night just for cutting and organizing the pattern pieces and if I'm lucky I'll have time to cut the fabric too. 

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment