Monday, April 28, 2014

Glutton for punishment

I seem to desire projects which are tedious and difficult. This pattern I had made years ago, but didn't finish sewing it together until quite recently. Here is the finished product:

I've decided to try my hand at another one. The Spiderweb Quilt is, despite my severe hatred of spiders, such a cute way to use your scraps. I may or may not have a few scraps to use up, and I even have fabric I've been holding onto because I hadn't found the right project for it.

One tip if you have an abundant supply of one fabric is to make big triangles out of it and sew the scrap strips on the triangle. It adds weight and warmth to the quilt and reduces the tedium slightly. Otherwise, you can make your own 'kite' piece by using the measurements on the website I posted a link to.

I am truly excited to begin another quilt, even though I just finished making an apron yesterday and was planning to make curtains for my daughter's room this morning. The great thing about this quilt is I have the most adorable backing fabric, also a scrap, and an even more amazing trick to show you!

I have tried this trick before with the other spiderweb quilt, and I will use any excuse to do it again. It is backing and binding all in one!

The fabric on the right is the backing to my quilt, and I simply placed the quilt top on top of the backing, cut around the top, leaving about an inch or more (depending on how big you want the side binding to be) on each side. Just make your quilt sandwich as it will appear while you are doing the actual quilting.

Then, I carefully pressed the fabric, folding it over once and then a second time so no raw edges were exposed. Then, just sew close to the inside edge with any kind of stitch or color thread and voila! Your quilt is complete. I love this trick, and when I find the site I got this tip from, I will share it and give them proper credit. A complete time saver for sure.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment